Monday, January 26, 2009

what I think a kitchen should be

I am really wanting to consult with an interior designer (Meredith, Help Me!). But I've been brainstorming about every nook and cranny in this house (and enjoying that process--it is such a fun project). I am back and forth all the time about what I want out of our kitchen and I have decided to make a list of what I want. This will help me be more focused with my choices. I'm afraid you are just along for the ride.

A kitchen should be:

*bright
*cheerful
*lots of counterspace
*everything should have a place (uncluttered)
*unified in every aspect (the feel of it should be carried through cabinets, fixtures, and appliances)
*open to other rooms

I have recently been inspired by the colors of Plains Presbyterian Church in Zachary, LA. We went there this past weekend to visit with some fun, cool people. I think I am going to end up painting our cabinets (or hire someone to). That way, we can keep the integrity of the cabinets (they are solid wood cabinets with really good craftsmenship--they are just outdated). I am now wondering if I should mess with the dining room to bring more cohesion between those two rooms. I'm thinking I do but I'm not sure what that will look like. I'm so excited about carrying out these plans one day. Our nursery is painted and we need to move other furniture to our attic or someone's house that wants to borrow our furniture (any takers for an armoire, futon, bookshelves, and bedside table?). After that we can paint the guestroom and have the carpet installed. It has been over a week since we (read: David) painted the nursery and we left the window and fan going for days and days and it STILL smells like paint. I don't know when that smell is supposed to go away. How long does that take exactly?--geez!

1 comment:

  1. Quality wood cabinets are made of superior wood materials without fillers. The result is durable cabinets for all your kitchen needs, as well as an elegant look that will never go out of style.

    ReplyDelete