Monday, January 19, 2009

the origin of a baby shower

Okay, I haven't done any research on this or anything but isn't the point of a baby shower to give new parents a headstart on all the goodies that are necessary, or at least convenient. And it would be impossible for most people to afford these things without friends and family "showering" you with gifts. So, if this is the case, why do wealthy people get showers? I am not saying their baby shouldn't be celebrated--absolutely they do but that shouldn't require others to "shower" you with stuff that you could afford on your own. As abrasive as this post sounds, I am nothing but curious. I see celebrities with showers and wonder, "what could they need--materially? I'm thankful that showers are a part of having your first child and I look forward to being with loved ones to celebrate and receive things we need. We certainly couldn't afford so much without other's generosity. As for wealthy people, they should just have parties minus the obligatory gifts. (By the way, when I write "wealthy people" I'm really thinking of absurdly wealthy, like celebs).

2 comments:

  1. seems to me the richer you are the fancier and less practical your shower gifts become.


    have you bought the baby bargains book? its a must have for your gift registry! i loved everything it suggested except for the bathtub.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I wonder if it's also a time to pass on wisdom and favorite things that you might have not thought of buying yourself...?

    ReplyDelete