Wednesday, October 8, 2008

a scare with a happy ending

Last night I listened to voice mail from my obgyn's office saying, "We would like to talk to you about the results of your blood work". I heard that and could feel instant anxiety and panic run through me. It just sounded like bad news from the start. I told David about the message and he said, "That's scary". I did my best to distract myself until today since there wasn't a thing I could do. I fought the fears that plagued me of the worst-case scenarios. I called first thing in the morning and had to leave a message. I was worried that I would have to wait all day for a reply but about 30 minutes later they called back and apologized for the worry they caused with their message. They said that nothing was wrong except they found some bacteria that could eventually lead to a bladder infection that they typically treat right away for pregnant women. So, they wanted to know which pharmacy to send the prescription to. PHEW!! I was so relieved and called David and left a message immediately. Even after this was over, I still had anxious feelings. I am not sure why but maybe I just need some time to recover from the scare.

I hope they made a note on my file that said this patient wants more information on their voicemail if a message is left.

2 comments:

  1. My heart leaped with worry for you! Cast all your cares upon Him, Guitta!

    Just wanted you to know that sometimes doctors will let you come in and get the heartbeat checked if you are worried. Right now you are still early, so it may be difficult to hear anyway, but later on, never hesitate to call your practice's triage nurse and ask. One night when I was in my last trimester with Johnny, I couldn't get him to kick. We tried sugar and lying down, all the usual tricks. We ended up calling the doctor and went in to the hospital--they checked the heartbeat and put us on a monitor for about an hour--what joy and relief to know all was okay--especially when Johnny started having hiccups. : ) Anyway, they are used to concerns and it's absolutely okay to call.

    I am rejoicing with you, my friend! Call if you ever need prayer or encouragement!

    ReplyDelete