Wednesday, February 1, 2012

the english call it a garden

What a lovely name, garden, for what is seen outside my back door.  Our yard is a mess!  It doesn't help that it is a dreary january day with not a sun ray in sight and the ground wet and muddy. 

                                

However, even on the sunniest day our backyard looks like something you might see in a low-income trailer park.  Our yard already lacks character with it's squareness and plantless existence.  We have a fence.  That's all.  A fence.  Someone else's pecan tree provides some shade in the back during the summer months but that is where the points of interest begins and ends.  It needs help.  But most help comes with a price tag.  Even if these wanna-be DIYers just wanted to buy the materials and do work ourselves (which is the likelier option), it will cost.  Having a house and making the changes we want to make is an exercise in patience.  We can't do it all at once.  Sometimes I am ok with that waiting and sometimes I'm not.

 For now, I will figure out a system for putting away all those toys strewn about (just to be strewn about again).  And save some money for some plants.  I did get some pretty pots with some of my Christmas money.  I should've taken a picture of those too.  I wonder if other people with kids have toys all over the place, too.  Inside toys end up outside (i.e. electronic/battery-operated toys and stuffed animals) while outside toys end up inside (i.e. tricycles, big balls).  

Changes happen.  They just happen slowly.  We have cute patio lights up.  I've hung some iron decor on the brick.  I have a tablecloth covering the ugly patio table.  It is coming along.   I suppose the same can be said for my sanctification.  I am growing.  Most of the time, the growth happens before my very eyes but it is so slight that it cannot be detected but in a year's time or ten year's time.  Like plants and trees.  (Thanks, Dr. R, for that analogy that I will never forget!).  So, I hope the branch that represents patience will continue to grow.  How will it grow?  With opportunities to wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment