Friday, February 3, 2012

back in the saddle

Today I had the privilege of teaching some ladies about marital communication.  It was so fun for me to prepare for this little opportunity.  I got to pour over some books that I haven't picked up in ages.  I love that information and the time of life that this information represents.  I wholeheartedly believe in the value of learning the practical side of communicating.  It feels strange and awkward for folks at first.  It is so new!  It is like learning a new language, and that will always be weird for the tongue.  I can't emphasize enough how important it is to have good talking and listening skills.  I internally cringe when I hear communication failure.  I have witnessed it A LOT (and probably participated more times than I'm proud of)!  It is a skill worth gaining.  It is a skill that helps you to love others well.  Our words have such potential.  They have the potential of bringing the receiver such beauty, encouragement, and strength.  They also have the potential of knocking a person down in a veritable tornado of shame, guilt, and pain.  Both have long term effects.  You can probably remember something someone said to you 20 years ago, for better or worse, that you still remember.  I know I do.  I am tempted to put that information I put together for those ladies on the blog just in case you wives and husbands out there need a refresher or a quick and basic first lesson--whichever the case may be. 

That time in graduate school was a mountaintop experience.  Changes were radical and the friendships were/are precious.  The Lord was near. I KNEW that I was exactly where I needed to be.  I look through my old books and remember sitting in class and feeling mesmerized by every single thing that came out of Dr. R's mouth.  I also remember feeling confused with every single thing Dr. Hurley said but that got better with each class I took with him.  I remember the camaraderie.  I remember rallying around those who had a tough day or client.  I remember being rallied around.  There was a tremendous amount of love and support to be had behind those walls.  I loved them all and then I got to live amongst some awesome, God-fearing folks on campus.  It wasn't all easy but it was all beautiful!  I read about the awareness wheel and remember practicing with a partner in class those very skills that we tried to teach our clients.  I am still passionate about these skills.  I am still passionate about therapy.  I am still passionate about the Lord's transforming grace!  I will forever be thankful to the Lord for such a time.

1 comment:

  1. This post goes perfectly with the James study at Moms' BS the past few weeks. We've missed you! Would love for you to share some of your tips on here or at BS for us non-MFT students :).

    ReplyDelete