Tuesday, February 14, 2012

David and Guitta: the prequel

Awhile back (was it a year ago?) my friend, Paula La (see the La family blog on the right hand side of this blog) gave a wonderfully written story of she and her husband (also our friend), Tuan.  David and I had so much fun reading it.  I was inspired to write our story too.  Afterall, I didn't have a blog at the time.  I also didn't have facebook.  So, except for a scrapbook that I started and won't finish until our last child leaves the nest, I don't have this information ANYWHERE but in my head.  So, in the name of Saint Valentine, and my own valentine, I will write *our* story. 

Every good story needs build up.  You need to know its characters and their history before understanding their decisions in the present day.  So here is a history (albeit relatively short).

David was born on August 28 in the year 1980....just kidding.

The year before David and Guitta became "David & Guitta", David was finishing up his final year at LSU.  He dated a nice Christian girl in 2004 for no more than 6 months long distance. They didn't see each other frequently and eventually he decided to break it off with her, realizing she was still unsure of how she felt about him and seemed to want something else.  At the end of his fall semester of 2004, he began having panic attacks.  That was the cost of pushing his nose to the grindstone without looking up and smelling the roses.  On top of that stress, he was wondering about where he was going to work.  Eventually, he recovered from the panic attacks and moved to Jackson, MS to work as a Latin teacher at Jackson Preparatory School (where he still teaches 6 years later).  He also decided to work at Twin Lakes Conference Center as a host.

As David was battling his last few semesters of LSU, I was graduating from Reformed Theological Seminary with a masters in marriage and family therapy.  I was single.  Always had been.  I have had friends who were boys (nothing but confusing) but no boyfriends.  By that time, I was convinced that I didn't want another ambiguous "friendship" with a boy.  It was too hard on my heart.  I couldn't take it.  I needed someone forthright.  I needed someone to step up to the plate and be clear about what his intentions.  I often said that when boys are confused about how they feel about a girl, you can be sure that the girl is drowning in confusion.  Confusion, in this case, is contagious.  I was fed up.  Yet, I was becoming less guarded and more relaxed around those who I would potentially date. 

In my class at RTS, all the guys were so kind and sweet--like the amazing older brothers and younger brothers that I've always wanted.  One in particular, John Fikkert, went above and beyond to be sweet.  It wasn't confusing.  He was my brother-in-Christ.  He was persuing another friend on campus at the time so I guess that helped clear the confusion.  He paid attention to what was going on with me and took the time.  It spoke volumes to me.  I wouldn't be exaggerating to say that he was one of the powerful forces that helped me to realize on a gut level (not just an intellectual level) that I was beloved by the Lord.  A lot of the guys at RTS were very different from any guys I had ever met.  Kind, sensitive, and engaging.  John was also that.  So during my second year, John and I worked with several clients together.  We worked on several class projects together as well as anytime I could help it, sat next to him in every class I could manage.  He was such a safe and amazing person to me.  I loved him in such a brotherly way.   This particular person was quiet and most comfortable being so.  He was intelligent and funny but not a talker.  As it turns out, I am.  When I am comfortable, in good spirits, feeling secure, and in the company of people that are safe--I will talk your ear off.  He brought out all of these in me.  This is important because it brought to my attention a personality that worked well with mine-a personality that brought out my truest self. 

I graduated from RTS and began working.  I was enjoying my single life.  I wasn't lonely.  In fact, I was beginning to wonder if I really wanted to be married.  I was up close and personal with a couple that for all appearances seemed healthy and happy but upon further investigation was falling apart and completely unhappy.  Well, that causes a girl to lose faith in relationships.  I was fearful of living in misery with a husband.  And lets not forget that I was in the business where I would often be confronted with broken marriages.  Nonetheless, I was at an alltime closeness with the Lord.  I had never had, before then, been in such intimate relationship with Him.  It was/is the true love story of my life (and another post entirely).  I began working in Vicksburg (traveling from Clinton) to be an outpatient therapist at the community mental health center.  I was planning on working there long enough to get my hours so that I could apply for licensure.  I was also hoping to teach and do private practice.  I knew that I needed variety in order to be content working fulltime--so I was hoping to work parttime in a couple of areas.  Timing seemed to be the important factor left. 

Around the same time I started working as an outpatient therapist, I began to take a serious look at my finances.  I was living on my own for the first time.  I had my own apartment, a job and the obvious bills.  Well, I realized that I needed extra income in order for me not to live outside my means.  My good friend, Jenny, pointed me to Twin Lakes.  I applied and interviewed with Step Morgan (who, along with his wife, turned out to be good friends of mine.  In fact, met lots of great friends there.)  I worked for a year and then the same friend, Jenny, told me about a new guy who was working at TL who I would enjoy working with.  She didn't say much more than that.    She said he was quiet and intellectual.  I filed it away in my head as a person I would look forward to meeting and that was it. 

That fall, Hurricane Katrina shook up my world (more so my parents' world).  I was standing in front of my parents' ruined house as I called TL to return a phone call to Step.  I ended up talking to David.  He had a friendly voice and he was the one who told me that Step had left TL (which is why Step called).  I told him that I looked forward to working with him one day. 

Then on that fateful day, November 3rd, we both worked at Twin Lakes...
(to be continued)

NOTE TO DAVID:  Happy Valentine's Day, my Beloved.  I am overjoyed to see "that God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you."  I love you immensely!

3 comments:

  1. I know this story!!! ;)

    I've been meaning to write ours too...thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yayayayayayayayay!!!! I am SOO excited you are writing this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading this :)You've left me hanging....I hope you continue your story....that is, when you're out of the hospital, and little Judah is over RSV! I'm praying for you all!!!!

    ReplyDelete