Tuesday, January 10, 2012

"well, have we got a show for you!"

I was not a Christian growing up.  So, as my kids are little there are very few songs that I know that are about Jesus or bible stories.  When Judah got baptized, my MIL gave us a Veggie Tales video that we already had.  So, I bounced on over to Lifeway where Mrs. Hogue bought it and exchanged it for a Veggie Tales music CD of toddler songs.  A few months later, I got a Christmas Veggie Tales CD because I was anticipating the holiday season.  Also, we bought David a sunday school songs Veggie Tales CD as one of his Christmas presents.  We listen to VT nonstop in our van.  David asks for it before he is even buckled in.  We take very few breaks from it.  Therefore, I am learning some great songs.  We aren't talking profound theology bound in a solemn song (love those, too!) but short and easy songs that encapsulate a simple story (battle of jericho) or worshipful sentiment (God is great).

Some pretty deep thoughts come to me as I hear these simple songs, though.  They are not devoid of wisdom.  As I hear these simple but core truths of our faith with my tot, I think of how simple a child's faith is.  Isn't that what Christ taught about--faith like a child!  It is rather amazing that a child will trust his parents so wholly.  So, for us to trust the Lord, our Father, with that kind of trust is indeed reason to rejoice!  Nitpicking over certain theology does not matter in childlike faith.  There is no room for it.  It is merely "I am His; and He is mine" and "He loves me and I trust Him."  Questioning the depth of someone's faith because they are pro infant baptism or against seems like not seeing the forest for the trees.  I like theology.  Love it, probably.  How can I not and be presbyterian?  However, the older I get, the more I see past the theology and look at the heart.  What pleases the Lord?  An acute knowledge of systematic theology or a soft heart for our neighbors?  Does it please the Lord to recite the catechism more than to be humble when others treat you unjustly?  Knowledge can be good and knowing the catechism can be helpful but it certainly is not all...not even close.  Afterall, " We know that “We all possess knowledge.” But knowledge puffs up while love builds up.  Those who think they know something do not yet know as they ought to know." (1Corinthians 8:1)


A simple faith is all the Jesus requires.  He calls many who can't do simple math.  He loves those who are far from doing an indepth analysis of scripture.  Isn't He gracious to give us all His Holy Spirit to help our souls understand the deep mysteries that are elusive to even the greatest minds?  He will lift up those simple minded children of His in the last day!  My heart can barely hold it together thinking about such joy!  My heart just may burst!


1 comment:

  1. Have you seen VT's Madame Blueberry? I think about that one OFTEN. "A thankful heart is a happy heart." So helpful to bring me back when I am beginning to be consumed with stuff-itis.

    ReplyDelete