Saturday, January 28, 2012

motherhood ain't for sissies!

We have had one of the hardest few days than we have had in a long time.  Both our children have been sick but the younger one was having it really bad with some wheezing, congestion, and fever.  Not so bad that we needed breathing treatments but enough to worry a mama.  His irritability has been off the charts.  The hardest part has been that he has gone on, what is known in the breastfeeding community, as a nursing strike.  This is when a baby, usually between 3 and 8 months will refuse the breast due to congestion, earache and/or teething.  He is hungry and wants the comfort of nursing but has associated suffocating with the breast.  It has been SO HARD.  Crying nonstop for hours without being able to help him.  He would fall asleep only to easily wake up again and more upset than how he started.  He refuses to be put down and so we are holding and trying our best to comfort him. 

I was a pressure cooker.  That pressure and exhaustion was building and building and I could feel it.  While holding him in the bathroom with the water running, I began some water works of my own.  David came in and took him and I continued my cries for a few minutes.  Cathartic.  I felt a little better.  Better to cry than combust, I always say (ok, so I've never said that but I'm gonna start!).   The couple of tricks to help a nursing baby who isn't nursing to nurse (how is that for a sentence?) is to catch them when they are semi-conscious, like right before falling into a deep sleep.  Judah has latched on during those times when I am laying him on the bed for a nap.  Also, feeding him breastmilk through a medicine dropper.  Why not a bottle you ask?  Well, at this point a bottle might promote weaning, and Judah is not wanting to wean.  Babies under 1 year old will not self-wean, usually.  If he were, it would be gradual and without all the screaming.  So, there you go.  Right now, he is uncomfortable nursing while congested.  I hope that by Monday, when I am alone with the kids again that Judah will be more himself and nursing normally.  Strikes can last anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks (yikes!).

David and I feel as if we have taken a beating this week.  One thing after another has rained on us and we have been battered and bruised.  Therefore, we are tired.  We will likely hole up for awhile just to get our heads cleared and on straight.  We are thankful for the pieces of grace we have gotten.  For example, Judah napping, our computer not breaking when juice was spilled on it, no anxiety, a breastpump that works without batteries ;), and some beautiful sunny days (it always helps a little).

No comments:

Post a Comment