Thursday, January 19, 2012

craigslist folly

Craigslist is a fabulous tool that I have used often.  I am daily looking for deals on items that I am hoping to score.  That is how we found our minivan.  It is also how we sold our car.  Our washing machine broke recently and within a couple of days we replaced it with a working $75 replacement.  A deal!!   Lately, I've been hunting for a sofa or a couple of chairs (or both) for our living room.  Our sofa and loveseat have run their course.  They have served my parents and then me for longer than ten years.  Not only are they showing much wear and tear (stains galore and tears threatening to widen) but our couch is rather uncomfortable because it has lost its shape.  There is a hole by the arm that leads to the space below the cushions.  We often have to stick our hand in it to find remotes, important papers, or books.  It is scary sticking your hand in there, feeling unsure of what your hand might touch.  We shudder to think about it.  I think we will donate them to salvation army.  If we sold it at a garage sale, I think we would ask for $20 or something like that. 

As I peruse the furniture lists of craigslist, I am flabbergasted at what people think their furniture will go for.  What are people thinking?!?  Ok, I can probably tell you what people are thinking.  If you ever had a garage sale, than you can probably relate.  As you are pricing items, especially if you need the money, you want to get the most that a person is likely to pay for an item.  So a little desperation and greed has you raising the price--justifying that the item is worth it to someone.  Also, how much the seller paid for it, seems to be a part in the equation.  Throw a little sentiment and nostalgia and you got a very old and ugly couch going for $200.  Seeing as I can get a new couch AND better looking couch for just a hundred dollars more (on sale), makes this "deal" laughable.  The sellers are either thinking, "Why doesn't a buyer see the beauty and function of this sofa?" or "No fools biting today." 

Couch new - $650 (Brandon)



Date: 2012-01-18, 4:27PM EST
Reply to: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX [Errors when replying to ads?]



Custom couch call or text 601-XXX-XXXX

  • Location: Brandon
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
image 0
PostingID: 2800XXXXXX

(who would consider this couch for $50, much less $650?!!?)


I wrote about this issue on facebook and a few friends pointed out a few other tactics that I have seen.  There are those that want you to know just how valuable their living room set is by telling you they paid $1500 when they bought it at Ethan Allen or Miskelly's.  Yet they are selling it for just $500.  What they fail to say (but it is plain as day when you see the pictures) is that they paid that much in the early nineties.  According to my rather inexact calculations, it would make that set worth no more than $100.  Did you catch that "no more than"?  That means all the pieces would be worth $100 IF there wasn't vomit (or other unappealing liquids) on it, without tears, and still somewhat supportive.  Any of these and the price drops again. 

And while I'm talking about Craigslist etiquette, I want to add that if you really want to sell something you must post a picture.  I will not waste any time on the posts without pictures.  And if you put pictures--make them good.  I once saw a pic (I would show you but i couldn't find it again) where it was a side view of the couch while loveseat was upside down and ON TOP OF THE COUCH!  Huh???  Classic, really.  I so wish I could find it again to show you.

The longer I look on Craigslist for my new/used couch, the more I think I am better off spending a little more money for a nicer couch and then slipcovering it to protect it from ourselves (I was going to say "protect it from our kids" but David and I have been just as guilty when it comes to abusing our furniture).  David doesn't want a slipcover that just lays on top that needs constant adjusting in order for it to look decent.  I agree.  That will be a pain.  So, the slipcover will need to be fitted.  I've only seen that on Ikea and Pottery Barn.  Guess which one is in our price range??  That's right--Ikea.  In the meantime, I'm still scouring for deals at craigslist.  I will occasionally check thrift stores and consignment shops as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment