Wednesday, March 4, 2009

missing some music

Disclaimer: I love Redeemer Presbyterian Church, where David and I attend. I respect what it sets out to do.

I have been really missing hymns and ruf songs. Before Redeemer church I was going to First Presbyterian Church. It was my first church. I was baptized there and attended for 6 or 7 years. I really enjoyed the music. It lifted my soul. It brought me to a place of meditation and worship. The Lord ministered through that music. I would also have this experience with the RUF (Reformed University Fellowship) songs. I was in my car today listening to the New York RUF CD and truly enjoying it as if it were filling a hole I've had for a few years. Redeemer's music is well done but it does not have this effect on me. I suppose I'm just stuck with where I grew up as a Christian. I sorely miss that kind of worship service. The high church music. I know that this kind of music is usually associated with the stodgy litergy and prickly traditional presbyterians. I consider myself transformed from being this kind of presbyterian but my love of the music has not wavered. I still can't completely swallow the worship of Redeemer. It just doesn't speak to me the same way. I guess I can still be a girl who knows Grace and still not enjoy the contemporary or gospel sound. I feel bad sometimes that I'm not rockin' and swayin' or getting into the spirit of the worship songs but I'm just not feelin' it. Oh well. I think I'm too white. Or too presbyterian. Or too serious. Or too set in her ways. Maybe a few more years at Redeemer will change that but I never want to lose appreciation of those classic hymns, organ music, and RUF songs. It is/was a part of my soul and it IS good.

No comments:

Post a Comment