Thursday, March 26, 2009

a change in plans

SYNOPSIS:
On Tuesday, early morning, I woke up at around 1:15 and discovered (through my muddled and sleepy reasoning) that my water was broken. David called the hospital and they told us to come in. Next thing we know, we are in our own labor and delivery room and told that we weren't leaving without a baby. Well, I don't think I have to say that we were shocked and bewildered. I took a good while to process this change in plans and all the while was telling myself verses that were helpful to me. "I can do all things in Christ who strengthens me" and "He works for the good of those who love Him" and "He will never leave or forsake you". I vascillated between feeling peace and feeling panic. Imagine--nothing is ready. We thought we had at least 7 weeks to pack our bags, read about circumcision, even come up with a name. None of that was done and I felt so emotionally unprepared. Yet, I kept thinking that the Lord knew what He was doing and was in control and was good. That night offered little sleep (naps here and there). We met with the doctor who told us that there was not much to worry about for me or the baby. She said I needed no steriod shots because the lungs have already developed enough. She proposed that we put myself on antibiotics to avoid infections and keep external fetal monitors on me to check if there is any baby distress. After an ultrasound, they saw that I had plenty of amniotic fluid left to keep baby comfortable. I am in no pain and had only few random (and painless) contractions. The doctor was hoping to keep me in this state until 34 weeks just to give the baby a little more lung maturity. The ultrasound also showed a healthy baby that was 4lbs and 14 oz. Regardless, the baby will have to be in the NICU for some amount of time. It could be a day or two on up to a month. We'll have to wait until he is born to know.

UPDATE:
Today is Thursday and I passed the 48 hour mark. This is good news to my doctor (and therefore to us). I've not had any labor, there has been no fever to indicate infection. The ultrasound today said that I had less fluid but was still well within the normal range of fluid. The doc believes that I am doing well enough that she is thinking Tuesday, rather than the original Saturday, will be the date for induction.

CONCLUSION: We have had nothing but good news since we've been here and have nothing but hope for what is to come. I have always wondered what it felt like to "feel others prayers" and now I know. I am certain the Lord has heard your prayers and have given us a peace beyond understanding. Thank you so much for your prayers--they are worth more than gold to us!

10 comments:

  1. and all of this good news means he'll be born on YOUR BIRTHDAY???!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guitta, we are glad to hear that everything is going well under the circumstances. We will continue praying for you guys. If you need anything - bringing you something from the house, letting the dog out, etc - please let us know. we'll be happy to help in any way. We can't wait to meet baby Hogue!!!

    Brian & Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guitta,
    Thank you for posting this update! I know very well the feeling of "nothing is ready yet!" I am so thankful that everything is going well at this point. We will continue to pray now and after he is born while he grows stronger in the NICU.
    Love you!
    What a birthday you will have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, so now I'm in the know. But if you get the chance to call out from the hospital- call me on my cell phone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guitta-
    The Nasekos crew is praying for you!!! May the Lord bless you and keep you as you wait and may He give you His peace. Please let us know if you need anything. We would love to bring you and David some food or anything that you are in need of.
    In Christ Alone
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the update! This helps us know how to pray specifically. I know it must be hard to sit and wait, but we are thankful that God is holding you and your baby safely in his arms. Isn't it amazing? Each day he is in the womb is hopefully one less day he is in the NICU! We're praying! We love you all. Your brother and sister, Ben and Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad for the update. I can't access Facebook at school and you didn't answer your cell phone yesterday... I was a little worried but now I'm so relieved. If the baby's born on your birthday, that is SO cool. If it's the next day, it's April Fool's Day. Somewhat ironic? Anyway, I'm believing for a healthy baby and a healthy mommy! Good job standing on the Word. Cling to those promises and don't accept anything else in your mind but what God's Word has for you. "Get angry" at the enemy if you must!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Guitta, we are praying for you, David and your precious baby. We still hope to see you before we leave Jackson if you are in a place to receive us, but we'll call you again to see. Many inquired about you today at RTS. Our love to you.
    John and Lindsay

    ReplyDelete