Wednesday, November 19, 2008

thankfulness

I realize that being thankful is a practice rather than a natural state of mind. Therefore, I have decided to devote a post(s?) to what I'm thankful. 'Tis the season, afterall.

What I'm thankful about my country:
(1) Our country was founded by a lot of godly men.
(2) We have such a wonderful infrastructure (just travel to a war-torn country and see what I mean). We can count on the garbage man, postman, police, firemen--that is no small blessing.
(3) freedom: freedom of speech, mainly but we have so much freedom here to be unique.

What I'm thankful about my extended family:
(1) They are so diverse and wonderfully complex with their different parents and backgrounds and experiences. I could know them my whole life (and my half, I have) and never know all of them.
(2) They like to have fun (but do have different definitions of that from time to time).
(3) Everyone loves to laugh.
(4) They are so numerous--i'll never run out of relatives to chat with.
(5) They such a wonderful source of support: emotional, physical, financial. The Lord places the lonely in families, He said and I see why.

What I'm thankful about my new home:
(1) It's bigger than our old place. We have another bedroom and a potential bonus room.
(2) We have a yard that is beautiful and private. Cora, our lab, has a nice backyard that she loves.
(3) We have recessed lighting and ample light in all rooms. Ultra important to a girl who isn't fond of the dark.
(4) It looks like a cottage and those are my favorite type of houses.
(5) It is close to everything we need: walmart, kroger, fastfood joints, book stores, interstate.
(6) We have a fireplace that we've enjoyed.
(7) We have 2!! bathrooms and ours has a big tub!
(8) We've had lots of guests without feeling cramped at all--we love having folks over.
(9) It is a great neighborhood.
(10) We have a pecan tree and many others that drop pecans into our yard.
(11) The house is great as is but it also has so much potential for improvement too.

What I'm thankful about my dog, Cora:
(1) She is so darn cute!
(2) She is very healthy and strong.
(3) She is bright and has the ability to learn (we just have to teach her)
(4) She has never been aggressive with others.
(5) She is so sweet when we are sick. She'll just sit by us without demanding walks or extra attention. But believe me, she knows when you are faking (see #3)

What I'm thankful about my husband David:
(1) He is very easy to be around.
(2) We enjoy a lot of the same low-key activities.
(3) He is very willing to help with housework.
(4) He treats me like a princess a lot.
(5) He walks Cora (she is too strong for me)
(6) He works very hard and doesn't complain.
(7) He loves physical affection
(8) He is a gentle giant.
(9) He has endless amounts of patience (ok, not endless but way way more than me).
(10) I love that he enjoys the simple things in life (ie. a glass of wine, some chocolate, milk shakes, a great tv show, a good book)

What I'm thankful about my Lord:
(1) He has been more faithful than I ever gave Him credit for. In my darkest times, He has walked with me and brought glimpses of hope when I felt hopeless--it kept me going. I persevered because of Him and all the people He used to encourage me.
(2) He plans perfectly. Anyone who knows David and my background in relationships would know that our meeting and love grew under our Lord's good will and purpose for us. The timing was perfect for us.
(3) The Lord teaches me everyday through His Word (Living Word) and through my experiences. He never stops; never gives up on my stubbornness or lack of insight. Through Him I learn what true love is, how people change and grow, and where to keep my eyes (on Him).
(4) He shows me what love and patience is through David and dear friends.
(5) He shows me what generosity is through my parents.
(6) He shows me what true beauty is through those who sacrifice and humble themselves before the Lord and others.
(7) He has prepared a wonderful place for me in His kingdom after I have fought the good fight where I get to enjoy His presence and the presence of my brothers and sisters in Christ. This place will be free of all that keeps the world in bondage and will be full to the brim (overflowing, really) with joy and love.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post, Guitta, that shows your wonderful, learning heart. I love you!

    ReplyDelete