Monday, November 17, 2008

15 weeks and counting

I've entered the relative calm of pregnancy. No crazy symptoms other than the occasional pain in my abdomen, promising that I will show eventually. Stories get to me more than they used to. Students would tell me stories in class that pertained to the topic we were discussing (i.e. post traumatic stress disorder, child abuse, etc) and these stories bring tears to my eyes that would not have a few months ago. I'm more sensitive to stories of children being hurt at the hands of their parents. I'm still not allowing myself to think too far ahead (i.e. life after baby is born) especially when I'm alone. If I am not bouncing my thoughts off of someone else they (my thoughts) tend to take on a scary life of their own. I want to concentrate on the joys of babydom without forgetting that it will be hard (so that I don't get blindsided).

We find out the sex of the baby on December 9th, Lord willing. We are excited about this as well as seeing the ultrasound for the first time. We haven't thought through names too much because there are so many other things that occupy our thoughts without having to plow through names for a sex that we may not have. To celebrate our first ultrasound we will purchase our first piece of sex-specific clothing for baby. I think that we have decided not to share the name until the baby is born. I recently decided I liked the idea of seeing the baby before naming him/her. It seems natural right now to see this child before bestowing a name with meaning. (I strongly believe in names with meaning.) I never liked that idea before (seemed to impractical) but for some unknown reason this seems right. David isn't too keen on it but he agreed to have a list of names we like and then decide on one when we meet "lil bit".

I've taken a short break from thinking about the nursery but recently picked up that project again. All this looks like is me browsing online at different bedding and such while reading up on bargains. (I highly recommend Baby Bargains--for new moms it is extremely helpful and insightful). I've not made any commitments to anything for maternity or for the nursery and look forward to when those decisions are made.

I can't think of anything else to tell but ask if you have any questions. I'm pretty open.

2 comments:

  1. We LOVED everything Baby Bargains recommended except the bathtub. Such a great book!

    I think you need to put a poll up so everyone can guess girl or boy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interestingly enough, there's so much that I can't remember from my pregnancy, that I'm enjoying all these update posts so much more!
    I'm praising God that you are not having sickness, though (that I definitely remember!). So, if you'll keep the name a secret, will you keep the sex a secret, too? I hope not! I'm wanting to know!
    i love you!

    ReplyDelete