Monday, February 22, 2010

brain down the drain

I can no longer trust what used to be so dependable--my mind.  It has betrayed me time and again.  I was rehabbing it for awhile by "transforming it by the renewing of my mind" kind-of-way.  I made great strides in that regard but several steps backward in another.  But then I got pregnant and had a baby.  Since then I have seen a serious memory deficit.  Here is the recent mishap.  Last week, one of my classes was scheduled to take an exam.  When my babysitter arrived, I was ready to print out said exam.  My computer decided it had enough of my dictatorship over its keys and such and died.  It must have conspired with our charger cord because it decided that it wasn't going to work in any outlet.  I was seriously late by the time I realized that these two "enemies" were sticking to their guns.  I left for the class with the decision to take my computer and work on it at the school.  Twenty minutes into the drive, I realize that I left what DID get printed on the printer.  By that time, I was ready to raise my white flag.  It worked out fine that day.  Like most students, they were glad to have an extra week to study.  We started the next unit instead. 

Today, I was prepared to be prepared.  I had the test already printed out and set it where I was not going to miss it as I headed out the door.  I got to school and realized that in all the energy it took my brain to remember the test, I forgot the textbook.  I usually keep both textbooks I use in the car.   Sigh.  Not a big deal for my students but it was not part of the plan.  I see that I cannot rely on my brain as I once had.  Its capabilities are limited until my child (and whatever future children) are grown...or at least sleeping through the night.  I know you other moms can relate.  I can only laugh at myself and move on. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Guitta! The stories I could tell you! :) Lists have become my friends in ways that I never thought possible. But it does get better, until you get pregnant again, that is. ;) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i loved lists until i started losing them as well as my memory...

    ReplyDelete