Friday, August 14, 2009

misinterpreted

NOTE: This isn't written at any one person. I will never (Lord willing) use my blog in order to send "secret" rebukes to anyone.

I have found that throughout my pregnancy and the 4 and 1/2 months of motherhood, I've experienced that I don't present myself accurately to others. When I talk to other mothers about parenting, I don't want them to feel judged or insecure about their personal method. My way of doing that looks like me being very open and vulnerable about my doubts of my own method. Unfortunately, this appears to others like I am more unsure than I am. I feel pretty strongly about our philosophy, meaning I am sure that this method is right for our child, both our temperaments, and our family as a whole. No, it is not the easy route. Yes, there are times when I am so tired that I question whether all this effort is worth it. I retain the right to complain about how hard it is, or how tired I am just like any other mom with any other method. So, you might hear me question it. You might hear me complain. You might wonder why I bother with attachment parenting (my philosophy and method). We bother because we feel strongly about it. Our method is well thought out, researched, studied, and not as strange as some parents have thought. In fact, this method is the tried and true method that existed before "baby training" ever came about. I am sorry that I have misrepresented myself so often. I really just enjoy being genuine with others with hopes that others would feel safe with my honesty and vulnerability. I also believe it to be an attempt on my part to practice humility. I should work on presenting a fuller picture of who I am. I'm not all insecurity and fear. My husband and closest friends can tell you that I'm opinionated, confident, competent, and not prone to emotionalism. I'm quite pragmatic. Just thought I would let you all know.

3 comments:

  1. attachment parenting will on occasion have others looking at you like you have three heads but i'm with you, it is right for our family too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Attatchment parenting is not for me, but I have seen good results from both methods! Ultimately what matters is parents who love the Lord and are faithful to teach their children his ways--that's the hard part!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trey and I have really liked to call it "common sense" parenting. Know yourself, learn your baby, and care for him. I pray every day that we will parent and love him in such a way that he has the best earthly model he can have of God's love. In our case, that will be a model heavily decorated with apologies and forgiveness.

    We are also very dedicated to breastfeeding, which doesn't lend itself to scheduling. I don't know all the ends and outs of attachment parenting, but Trey and I heartily agree with some of the principles on which it is based.

    ReplyDelete