Thursday, March 27, 2008

yoga and pilates

Since November I have been regularly doing yoga and pilates classes at the downtown YMCA. I really enjoy it but what has been really fun lately is that I have some serious arm muscle that is quite toned. I am so proud of it. I always admire women's arm muscle (though not the scary kind of professional body builders- yuck). This was an unexpected benefit. David pointed out that we are often in poses where are arms are supporting a lot of our body weight so it makes sense that my arms would be getting more cut. I just thought I would get more flexible. That has been true but has been a slower process than expected. The whole reason I started this yoga class was for stress relief. It provides breathing techniques that really help slows heart rate, blood pressure, and pent-up anxiety. I use these tricks throughout the day.

I was a little bit concerned about whether the instructors would start talking about their false gods but no such occurrence. It is strictly an exercise class that is based on a practice that has been effective for thousands of years. I also thought I would be bored. Times that I have tried yoga in the past I felt restless about the slowness of it all. But it is actually a welcomed time for me.

Pilates is a little different than yoga in that it requires a lot more strength and flexibility. In other words, its excruciating. But as painful as it is, it really does work. I walk away feeling exhausted but stronger. I've looked forward to my Monday night classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment