Thursday, March 27, 2008

decisions

Some of you know the limbo that David and I have been in for the past 2 or 3 months. We are looking into what is going to happen next fall. David applied to Tulane University in New Orleans for a MA in classical studies or latin. He was accepted and received a full scholarship. I am so proud of him! Well, I went through the process of preparing myself for moving to new orleans. It would have worked well in that I have family and some friends nearby, I have lived there before so I am familiar with the area (I don't have to start completely over), and my parents can give us a great deal on one of their apartments, which meant affordable rent. The downside was that we didn't have an income. We were hoping that there would be a teaching assistant position available so we could have a stipend but there wasn't one available.

The plot gets thicker...

David wanted to check other options. He talked to his department head who encouraged him to talk to the headmaster of Prep (where he works). He found out that in efforts to keep him at Prep they would be pay for his graduate studies as long as he stayed for another year. And they gave him a nice raise. I then got excited about the idea of staying in Jackson and being to truly settle in for at least a few more years.

even thicker....

Then we found out that neither Tulane or Ole Miss or any other nearby university has a summer graduate program. I became sad and disappointed especially since I had to get used to the idea of new orleans all over again.

the thickening continues....

Last night David and I couldn't sleep so I took advantage of the those random wireless rays that float around in our bedroom to do my own research on classical graduate programs and stumbled across the University of Florida. It offers Masters and PhD programs through distance learning with minimal trips to Gainsville (where the university is located) . Which means that if Prep is willing, we could stay in Jackson and have them pay for our tuition for David to work toward his graduate studies here. We both got excited last night thinking about it but were also admitting that neither of us wanted to get invested in it until we know something for sure. I told him last night that the Lord is sending me on the crazy ride where I think he is taking me toward a certain goal (or location) and then right before takes a hard right or left and I end up facing a new goal or locale over and over. What has been wonderful about this journey is that each new mission is better than the last one we were anticipating. I am liking the "magic carpet ride" he has taken us on and I am exercising my trust in Him.

what this means now...

David is going to talk to the headmaster after gathering more info about the University of Florida program. What is funny is that one of the profs at ole miss told David about this program in Florida but David didn't pay much attention to it. So, we are praying that this works out the way it should. Our desire, in spite of our efforts to not get invested, is to stay in Jackson with David continuing to be the primary breadwinner. We hope to invest in property and people (babies!!!) once we know this is where we'll be for awhile.

So, now you are caught up in all of our goings on.

5 comments:

  1. The plot should be near coagulation at this point... :)

    We'll be praying for y'all, but it looks like God is working a way for you.

    Love,
    Joseph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom & I really enjoyed having dinner and visiting w/ you & David. Please let us know when David finds out if he can enter the program. Love to you both. James

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom & I really enjoyed having dinner and visiting w/ you & David. Please let us know when David finds out if he can enter the program. Love to you both. James

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, Guitta, about the duplicative post. Please delete it and this one. At least, I didn't get booted this time before commenting. Hope springs eternal. :-) James

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see what happens. Keep us updated. :)
    love,
    Raquel

    ReplyDelete