Friday, November 30, 2007

class of '97

My high school reunion was scheduled the saturday after thanksgiving. I was planning on attending with david and my friend, Grace, and her husband. Both Grace and I deliberated if we really wanted to go. Our initial unwillingness to go was countered by our insatiable curiousity about how our classmates turned out. We both wished we could be flys on the wall looking at everyone. Also, I have to admit that I wanted to attend so that I could show off my cute husband and newfound sense of style (don't think I had one 10 years ago). When my friend told me she couldn't go because her youngest was sick, I decided I didn't want to go either. It cost $60/person and I wouldn't have a buddy that knew classmates that I did and could gossip with me about them. Besides, there was something in me that cared too much about what those people thought of me. I certainly cared in high school but to care now because I want to prove something to all of them seems a bit more than I can justify. It seemed like going would be giving these people (who I have had no interaction with in 10 years) too much power. Overall, I don't feel much regret from missing it. And there is always the 20 yr reunion--though I doubt I will look as good as I do now.

No comments:

Post a Comment