Thursday, May 21, 2009

a slow and painful week with my cute growing pain

David Jr. and I had a good rhythm going. Every 3 hours (give or take 15 min) he would get hungry. I would nurse, he would stay awake for a little while or sleep, and then we would start over. Then, around tuesday of last week, David threw me a curve ball. He started getting more fussy, and wanting to eat every hour and a half to two hours (doesn't sound bad until you know that I was feeding him for about 45 minutes or an hour out of that time). I was left with a small break between feedings, my "equipment" for nursing was "tired" and this was happening through the night. I was relieved to learn last week that the growth spurt (the 6-wk growth spurt, to be exact) that was the cause of the new rhythm usually lasts from 2 to 7 days or so. Well, by the 7th day my nerves were raw and I was frazzled. David Sr. helped as much as he could but, of course, he can't nurse and he had to finish up his exams and grading. Well, we made it but it was not easy.

I think the growth spurt is over for the most part. Now, he sleeps and sleeps (which is when the growing starts). He looks longer and is definitely heavier (though we don't have any exact numbers). At least for the last couple of days, he has gone 3 hours between feedings and at night he went as long as 6 hours one night. Because I am getting more of a break I tend to like him more. Sure, I love him (would I work so hard for someone I didn't?) But now, I like and want to play with him. It also helps that he is a happier baby now. I don't really look forward to the next growth spurt (books say that will happen at 3 mos. and david is 7 and a half wks).

I made all sorts of plans for this past week that have gone to pot.
________________________________________________________

just an aside, there is some kid trying to luge down our street--hilarious!
________________________________________________________

I wanted to hang out with my friend Marti and later Meg and Christel. None of the above happened until after the growth spurt ended. I've never heard of these spurts and how hard they can be. But at least the painful part is for a good cause because this little guy is starting to get baby fat. This is a source of pride to me.

2 comments:

  1. I remember when J hit that--it was absolutely befuddling--then an older, more experienced mom nodded her head sagely and said, "oh, yeah, the growth spurt!"

    We forgot about it and A did the same thing--so trying! I miss you guys and hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guitta! Miss you!

    I'm sorry. I thought I complained about the GS - that's the first time I broke down. It's no fun at all. Satomi started hers the day after Stuart's mom left - how confidence building is that! One thing I remember is that the 6-week one wasn't so bad and neither was the 3-month one - maybe you'll be lucky and not notice the next ones. :) You did an awesome job hanging in there through the GS.

    HURRAY 6 HOURS! AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete