Friday, June 5, 2009

life lately

The growth spurt is over and my sanity remained intact. However, new things have arisen. The pattern seems to be: nurse, cry, sleep. The crying portion of this new schedule is what concerns me. Typically this is in the afternoon but that doesn't mean that it hasn't happened other times as well. Also, he has times when he is happy, awake and not crying. My relatives all say this is gas. They also say that it will end around his 3rd month. We've used the much raved about Mylicon but all it seems to do is interrupt the wails so that we can insert a pacifier to help comfort him. Everyone on my side of the family recommended an herbal tea made from anise seed (that I grew up with and find very comforting) for the baby but I'm just not sure...

So, babies cry, right? Right! But my therapist/analytical/paranoid parts wonder if it is something other than gas, like him having a difficult temperament. I was talking about his crying with some friends who asked if he was fussy. That question stuck with me. Is he fussy? And if he is, why do I feel guilty or embarrassed by that? I've read up on this and discovered that the "good" baby/fussy baby categories are a bit limiting. Well, and all that to say, he may not be fussy--i have no idea. It isn't like I've done this before.

We've learned that the baby loves the vibration of singing low notes. He loves the "monkey hold". He also loves to be held and patted on the the back and bottom. His daddy has become a champ at all of these.

David Sr. seems to have his most difficult times at the changing table. He cannot seem to change the baby's diaper without getting the changing pad, 4 diapers, and babies clothes wet. To say the least, we are going through lots of diapers. I've gotten "wet" on as well but due to leaky diapers.

I'm just dying to see some smiles and ready for him to be interactive. We might have to wait longer because his developmental milestones might be later in coming due to him being preterm.

I would love to hear your thoughts on these things.

3 comments:

  1. Dearest Guitta,

    I love you! I have so much that I want to say in response to this post, but I don't have time this morning, unfortunately. Oh! Maybe I could email you on my way to my lesson! I'll give it a try. :)

    Love,
    Cristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of babies that just have a fussy spell in the late afternoon.

    Does he cry when you're holding him or when he's put down? If he's crying when you're holding him, it may be over-stimulation. He may be asking for some down time. Aubrey was like that; she'd fuss after eating and I'd lay her down in her bed and she'd sack out.

    Our children like to keep us from getting to comfortable with our routines. Infants, especially! I know you are doing a great job--looking forward to a good visit, soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds familiar and perfectly normal to me, i don't think it is at all any indication of his temperament long term! the baby bjorn was the magic trick for jack when he was in that phase.

    ReplyDelete