Sunday, February 22, 2009

a moment of sadness

This weekend we were in Newellton because Sara, David's sister, was in town. We had a good and laid-back weekend with her, Esther, Jim, James, George (family friend), and Mrs. Hogue. A couple of times that day the topic of ailing spouses and parents came up. There were a few friends of the family, who I did not know, that were caring for a parent or spouse with altzeimer's. Just talking about their predicament made David and me both sad. Then, we had the pleasure to meet Esther's in-laws who were in town from Brazil. They were utterly delightful. They were visiting on their way to be with Mr. Davis's mother who is also dealing with altzeimer's. I couldn't get out of my head how awful it has to be to watch your parent slowly (or quickly) lose their memories, functions, parts of their personality. Today, on our way to Jackson, we stopped at Mr. Hogue's grave site. David was feeling sad and cried a bit. I felt so sad for him and then I just felt sad. I asked David if it got any better since last April and he said it was a lot better. I kept thinking about how I didn't feel strong enough to watch my parents or anyone I love get sick and pass away. Just thinking about it I would feel weepy and sad. I asked David if he was ever afraid of his parents dying and he said that he didn't think about it that much because it was sad when he did but he wouldn't describe it as fear. I have always feared these things as long as I can remember. I would feel so upset when my parents were ever in the hospital for anything or sick. Does anyone else have these kinds of thoughts or feelings? Maybe it is just a fact of life for an only child.

I don't want anyone to worry as they read this. I am not in a pit of despair. In fact, the feelings of sadness have passed but I just wanted to report it so I could get some feedback.

4 comments:

  1. totally with you. i can get completely consumed in that kid of fear if i let myself. not to be discouraging, i mean this more as a heads up/it's normal if it happens to you, but it has become so much worse since having jack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guitta,
    Thanks for sharing your heart! I must confess that I hadn't really thought about my parents being ill or dying until it started happening with my friends' parents, and then watching my mom take care of my grandmother for so long and now my granpda. I feel incredibly sad when I think about it! I don't feel as alone as I used to, since being married. I know that Thomas will help me do whatever needs to be done to help my parents.
    I don't think that you're alone in your feelings, though I'm sure that all of us have our own nuances.
    I'm thankful for you, that you are able to express the feeling and not get stuck in it right now. Whenever I begin to worry about the future, seemingly inevitable things, I also TRY to remember that God does not put things in the lives of His children that He has not purposefully put in their paths, and He never leaves His children there alone, either. I hope that doesn't sound trite. It doesn't always sink in with me right away, but eventually it does tend to help a bit.

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fear it more with Tuan and my kids than with my parents. With parents, I know it will happen, because usually that's the way it is. With T or kids, it would seem so unnatural . . .

    But remember:
    Jesus lives and so shall I!
    Death, thy sting is gone forever!
    He who deigned for me to die
    lives the bonds of death to sever
    He shall raise me from the dust
    Jesus is my hope and trust!

    ReplyDelete