Thursday, March 10, 2011

lent

So, this year I thought I would follow my husband's example and give up something for lent (last year he gave up sugar and this year he is giving up sugar and fried foods, in case you were curious).  I decided that it would be beneficial to give up morning television.  I actually don't watch morning television but my son does.  So what I'm really giving up is morning cartoons.  Cartoons that allowed me to wake up a bit more, take snoozes when needed, eat breakfast in peace and just lounge.  I relied on morning cartoon a bit more since this pregnancy because of the energy I had (or didn't have).  Yesterday morning I had the t.v. on before I even remembered that it was ash wednesday, the beginning of the lentel season (did I spell that right?  I know it isn't spelled like the bean).  David Jr. slept a little later (8am) and we were halfway through SuperWhy on PBS before I realized it.  Rather than interrupt the cartoon right away I waited until it was over and turned it off with nary a peep from my toddler.  It also helped that we were going to church that morning for bible study and he would get to play in nursery, which he loves.  That took up the first morning since we were home by noon and he fell asleep in the car on the way home. 

Today (day 2) we didn't have the t.v. on and david didn't even ask for it.  I was surprised.  I thought he would have felt the absence more but I'm thankful that on top of not having the luxury of just sitting quietly I didn't have to work extra hard to distract a toddler from his desires for cartoons.  I expect the coming week to be easier too since david sr. will be home for spring break.  The t.v. is rarely on during the day when my husband is home.  Probably because we are all more preoccupied and my loneliness for people is less palpable. 

Speaking of spring break, we have an intimidating list of to-do's for it.  I am excited to be getting stuff done but realize that if we get it all done we will be exhausted.  If we don't, which is more likely, we'll still have to figure out when and how to get it done between now and baby #2.  Our list consists of tiling our kitchen backsplash.  Ourselves.  Yea, this could get ugly.  Also, we have some furniture rearranging to do (not a big deal) and some furniture painting.  Gardening is also part of our list.  Which I really look forward to.  I hope for superb weather--sounds divine.  I have to gather, clean, register, and tag our consignment items for the children's consignment that will happen the week after.  Those are the bigger tasks but there are many many less big tasks (but not small).  Getting David to sleep in his "big boy bed" at night, re-covering dining room chairs, making curtains for kitchen and laundry room, finishing curtains for nursery and guest rooms (close but still need some attention), dr's appts, and more!!! 

2 comments:

  1. That's great. I bet it would be so easy for me to do without certain things if I would just go ahead with them. Why is there trepidation on my part when God gave His son for me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for giving up the tv/cartoons, we do that here and there and I always appreciate the difference.

    ReplyDelete