Friday, October 22, 2010

there is some guilt

I have read enough pregnancy literature to know that these feelings are normal.  Still, I can't shake some sense of guilt that I'm replacing my firstborn or that he is going to get lost in the shuffle.  Some of my fear and guilt about this might spring from the fact that I never experienced that kind of upheaval.  I'm an only child, y'know.  I don't have the experience of the adjustment and having a sibling.  I am in brand new territory.  My parents are even in brand new territory.  They know what it is like to be in a large family but they do not know what its like to raise two kids under two.  So, I'm just trusting that though there may be an adjustment period for David Jr. (and for us, for goodness sake) but that the dust will settle and David will no longer remember life before his little brother or sister existed.  But for David and I this past year and a half have been (albeit tough) a humungous blessing.  We will cherish forever the memories of "just the three of us".  It does not escape me that it is a sweet time that we won't have back.  So, I guess it is natural that I feel a little sad to see it go.  I keep in mind that the joy I have had (unimaginable!) with my son, I will get to experience again with another blessing from the Lord.  And that is a reason to celebrate!!!  Break out the Saltines!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh I went through this BIG TIME when I was pregnant w C. It took me much longer that I expected to attach to him because it felt like I was betraying J.

    ReplyDelete