Friday, October 22, 2010

the danger of TLC's 'Sister Wives'

The Learning Channel (a.k.a. TLC) is known for doing some great shows that educate the general public about life for a certain sector, group, or family dealing with unusual circumstances.  Long ago (or so it feels like) I watched a (what I thought) normal family handle sextuplets and twins.  I watch the Duggars with their 19 children and have watched lots of little people.  Lately, TLC decided to do a small series on a polygamist family.  From the beginning I had mixed feelings about this.   I find myself curious and knew that I would see what this show was about.  At the same time, I had an icky feeling about their being a show that could draw an empathetic, normalizing light to this very wrong way of life.  I mean, these are not the FLDS (or is it FDLS?) that have the long dresses, long hair and secretive & dark lives under the dictatorship of Jeff Warrens.  This is a likeable group.  They dress normal.  They blend in.  Watching this, I know that people will start to look at their situation of one man with his three wives (while marrying a fourth) as freaky but normal.  I found even myself feeling more accepting (thankfully, I was guarding my heart but I see the tendency--that is how powerful t.v. is).  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not about getting pitchforks and running them out of town.  I want to love them like I would hope to love any neighbor.  But that doesn't change the fact that polygamy is unnatural (despite what polygamists might say) and unfair to the wives of this one man.  The wives of the show are quite frank about jealousy issues (which is refreshing) but they are also quite adamant about the advantages of plural marriage:  more time to themselves, more help with the children, refining of their character, etc.  One of the women liked it because it meant that she could work outside the home with a full-time job because one of the other "sister wives" was taking care of the children (their are 13 or so total, I think).  That was new to hear.  It was this modern take on polygamy that I had not seen.  Women's rights to work but not to have one man's heart, soul, and body in totality?  Very strange.  And icky.

No comments:

Post a Comment