Wednesday, December 16, 2009

for want of wisdom

I have too often come across "Christian" paraphrenalia that have the adage, "Wise Men Still Seek Him". I walk away from them with an unsettled feeling in my stomach. What is this saying really...well...saying? I interpret this platitude to be telling the world that christians are more wise, or dare I say, overall better than everyone else. It is offensive. Not offensive in the same way that the Gospel is offensive because unbelievers hate needing a Savior. I am okay with that (I have to be). It offends because the writer is being a "hater"--in other words, the writer is not being a "lover" or loving. And on top of that, the writer albeit clever is not being humble. Two things we are commanded to be are loving and humble. This saying is neither. Do you see the problem? I don't want to be connected to that. I don't want to be about that at all. I am a christian that seeks the Lord. I am not wise for it. I am compelled because there is no other Way (note the capital "W"). What wisdom that has seeped into my thick skull is from His Gracious Hand and not from any talent I may grossly exaggerate in importance. The writer's abilities come from the Lord, but that saying surely did not.

No comments:

Post a Comment