Wednesday, October 12, 2011

let me teach you about a concept known as 'taste aversion'



If there is ever a food or beverage that you would like to eradicate from your diet than be sure to eat it then have a very uncomfortable time afterwards throwing it up.  Have you ever known anyone who drank too much tequila, got sick, and swore off tequila for life?  They developed a taste aversion to it.  All of us have had these experiences (not necessarily with liquor).  My husband got sick after eating at one of my favorite burger joints.  Now he won't go back.  Taste Aversion is such a neat survival mechanism.  In the wild, when an animal eats something bad for them and get sick they will avoid it the next time they come across it.  In fact, sheep farmers will use this to their advantage.  They will coat the sheep's wool with a chemical that will cause vomiting if ingested.  All it takes after that is for one sheep to die for all the coyotes or wolves to avoid that farmer's other sheep. 



Five years ago I made a beautiful roast with vegetables in my new crockpot.  It was my first time using a crockpot that was a wedding present from our wedding two or so months earlier.  I ate some of it for dinner and around 11pm, lots of yuckiness ensued.  I'll spare the details but just know it wasn't just vomiting--yeah, are you with me?  On top of all that ickiness, I was having a panic attack. 

T-R-A-U-M-A!

Haven't touched the crockpot since then.

Until yesterday.  Five years later, I make my attempt to use the crockpot and rid myself of this taste aversion.   For a few years, if I even looked at the crockpot I would feel sick.  The association between that crockpot (and the stewed roast) was far too strong.  I couldn't eat anything that looked like what I cooked that night too.  So, many moons later I am able to look at the crockpot and use it.  Mind you, I made my debut with a recipe that looked very different from roast and veggies.  I made a white chili that involved chicken instead of beef.  I made it.  I ate it.  I didn't get sick.  Phew!

What do you have a taste aversion to?

1 comment:

  1. When I was about 8 weeks pregnant with #4 we bought a big bunch of fresh basil at the farmer's market. I made several things with it, including humus and tomato basil soup. Five days later "morning sickness" (really all-day nausea that lasted 4-5 weeks) set in. I could not stand the smell that pervaded my kitchen and had to throw away the rest of the basil. :( Baby is now two and the smell of it can still turn my stomach. I guess that's more of a smell aversion!

    ReplyDelete