Wednesday, July 14, 2010

coupon crazy

I've been learning wonderful ways to stretch our dollars in the hogue home.  I've enjoyed the brain exercise.  It is like solving a puzzle to figure out what products to buy that will last the longest and are the most economical.  I also enjoy figuring out what I can make with a can of stewed tomatoes, flour, sliced ham, and an orange (I made this list up so I don't have any recipes or anything).  It is my joy to see an empty pantry and fridge and then take a big trip to the store.  It means we used our resources well.  Delight!  I'm also actively learning how to make the most of couponing.  I requested at the library the book "The Coupon Mom's Guide to Cutting Your  Bills In Half"(am I supposed to underline a book title--I can never remember) (more economical than buying--I have reignited my love of the library) and began pouring over it and making notes.  I found blogs and websites (including Couponmom.com) to help gather all manner of coupons and am taking baby steps in how to take advantage of double/triple couponing, BOGO (buy one get one...), and other smart tips.  I started this venture and saw more and more people jumping on the couponing/bargain hunting bandwagon (or discovered people already on it).  I think it is a movement among frugal mothers.


Anyhoo, this is just background information for why I was on the website www.slickdeals.com.  I found that Home Depot was selling 4ft. by 4ft. raised garden beds for $9!  It was originally $29!  That is a huge deal!  I bought 3 (they are back ordered but so what?!).  I basically bought 3 for the price of 1.  Excellent!  And this was not a purchase that was needless.  I had been in the market for just such a product.  We wanted to start a garden but protect the garden from our dog and also make it look a little dressed up.  Perfect!  I see this as an investment (a small one at that!  yeah!) in furthering our dollar bills because gardening will bring us some organic vegetables without the high cost.  There is such a high from a good deal.  And unlike other highs, this one has proven to be quite affordable.  ;)

1 comment:

  1. Good idea! Call your local Mississippi extension service and they will provide you with all sorts of FREE materials on establishing your beds, planting your vegetables, etc. The extension service is a wonderful resource for all sorts of domestic tasks (putting up all your bounty perhaps!?) Let me know if you need contact info!

    PS - this is Erin's Mom!

    ReplyDelete