Monday, July 7, 2008

i'm a believer...

in the quality music of the Monkees. I watched the shows (and own a season on dvd), I listened to the record (still have it and can see where I used a pen to trace around Davy Jones' face), and it was the first cassette tape I ever owned. I also have to mention that my first crushes were on Michael Nesmith and Davy Jones. Oh so cute! I had to remind myself that they were a few decades older than me but so what?! They are timeless.

I know there are many naysayers out there who snobbishly toss aside their work because they were a band put together by television producers. In their defense, look at all the shows whose goals are to put together a star, or a band (i.e. Making the Band or American Idol, anyone?). So, the Monkees were just ahead of their time. A few favorites of theirs were "Sweet Young Thing", "I Wanna Be Free", "You Just Might Be the One", "Saturday's Child", "Take A Giant Step".

1 comment:

  1. I like the Monkees, too, but I'm afraid I'm not as knowledgeable as you are, Guitta. :)
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete